Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Fashion inspiration - what is Poppy Parker wearing?

When I saw She's Not There Poppy Parker, I knew I had seen the dress before - not necessarily on Twiggy but it was engraved somewhere in my memories.




Looking around at old Vogue issues, I discoverd why. The original dressed was designed by John Bates a.k.a. Jean Varon for his Avengers collection. Take a look at Diana Riggs sporting it along with the coat in an Avengers episode:




I also found Jean Shrimpton wearing the coat over the dress in a British Vogue 1965 issue, photographed by Bailey (small photo, bottom right).


Some more photos of the dress.



(Vogue scan courtesy of Youthquakes - Avengers photos courtesy of Vintage Chic)

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post! I was really curious on the inspiration for this outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I was curious too as it kept haunting me "I know this dress, I know this dress, I know this dress" - thought it was Twiggy but it was Avengers all along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate it when I can't remember wher I have seen something or someone. Thanks for the jog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. New follower here!

    Thanks so much for going the extra mile and finding the inspiration! It's really pretty awesome to see the outfit in action on classic movie stars!
    http://majokkoshop.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete